Sunday, 11 December 2011

My goal for 2012 is to go global - care to join me?


If nothing else the day job has taught me that even micro businesses need to go global if they are to survive in the current economic climate.  I was really delighted when Emma Jones author, entrepreneur and founder of Enterprise Nation invited me to hear some fantastic small business owners speak about their experiences of selling their products overseas at a Global Entrepreneurs Week event back in November.

In my goody bag was a copy of Emma's book "Go Global - how to take your business to the world" so yep I have a date with a notebook and a mince pie to work my way through the advice and plan my own strategies for taking Strange Fruit's vintage inspired greeting cards to the international market-place.  Of course as this is the season for caring and sharing I did get another copy.  Details of how to win it are at the end of this post. 


The day was not just about the book - it was about going global.  Emma had drafted in a panel of well known and well respected business owners who I think everyone in the room was inspired by.  The entrepreneurs shared their business journey with the delegates and it was no surprise to me that no-one had become a successful business person overnight - each had been working on their business for years before they found their perfect business model.  

Rob Law
Take Rob Law founder of Trunkie - he was famously turned down by Dragon's Den, he had his suitcase moulds in-pounded in a Chinese factory and neither the toy or the luggage market thought his product was right for them.  With a lot of hard work and dedication Trunkie products are now sold in 62 countries and the brand is so strong the company never pays for media or advertising.  Which I think is incredibly impressive!  

The upbeat day was so informative and my little notebook is just bursting with great advice but rather than hear it from me each speaker shared a business tip; here are a few of their gems....

Richard Moross speaking and the 
back  of my head!


Richard Moross - founder of Moo 
"The better the relationship with your 
customers the better."

Rob Law - founder of Trunkie
"Add the word 'luxury' to your product information when marketing overseas."

Tony Curtis - founder of Alago
"Just do it - be prepared to learn the hard way because you can't buy that kind of learning."

If you would like the "Go Global" book just send me your name and postal address in an email (mail@ilovestrangefruit.com) with 'Go Global' in the subject line.  The winner will be selected on 1 January 2012 and the book will be sent out by first class post - to anywhere in the world of course.  How simple is that?  

There will be lots more freebies over the coming months so it would be great if you followed the Strange Fruit blog so you get to here about them.  And if you have a tip for going global don't be shy - share.

2 comments:

  1. Great post! Thanks for sharing the info - my email is on the way!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice one Denise! What a lovely gesture too! Share and share alike! I believe in the power of paying it forward!

    ReplyDelete