Sunday, 5 May 2013

Soy candles at the darkroom

This week Inky Cuttlefish, a printmaking, art studio and gallery in Walthamstow, London, E17 started a coffee morning.  I wanted to meet photographer and tutor Rachel l'Anson who has her darkroom on site so the chance for a cuppa and a chat, in a darkroom, seemed like the obvious thing to do on a Saturday morning.


Being back in a dark room was amazing

I haven't been in a darkroom for years, it was amazing, the converted tea pots used for pinhole photography are brilliant. Rachel like using Victorian developing techniques and the images she produces are intriguing.


Inside the pop-up dark room

Being a super talented little bee Rachel also collects old jars and uses them to pour her hand-made soy candles into. The giant orange and chocolate scented candle in a massive Marmite jar was a 'hate it' for me but the vanilla and coconut was the mustard, literally - it comes in a french Maille mustard jar.

Vanilla and coconut scented candle

I think these would look really cute as wedding favours in those tiny preserve jars they have in restaurants and hotels. I have loads that we never used for our wedding. A local hotel was happy to give me a weeks worth; saved on their recycling collection bill I reckon. If you fancy making soy candles yourself I found these instructions on she.knows.com which look super easy, but I am sticking with Rachel's because my house now smells wonderful.

If you fancy a candle or a pinhole photography workshop, or for Rachel to bring her pop-up dark room to a school near you contact her via her website www.rachelsdarkroom.co.uk - oh and she makes a lovely cup of tea.







No comments:

Post a Comment