Thursday, 19 September 2013

Meet Stuart Hall, one man who shaped my life.

I first discovered Stuart Hall, a leading cultural theorist during my media studies. He is in some ways part of why I wanted to start my business.  He beautifully explains the impact on society and identity when there is a lack of diverse visual representation. As well coining the word 'Thatcherism”he puts the world to rights eloquently discussing war, feminism, nuclear disarmament, the miners strike, race and equality. Stuart Hall is one of the people who shaped my world view so seeing The Stuart Hall Project, directed by John Akomfrah for me was an opportunity not to be missed.



In short, Hall's central argument is that a person's identity is continually shaped by surrounding forces. As Peter Bradshaw said in the The Guardian this "film is a tribute to the critic and New Left Review founder Stuart Hall." 

This film is not just a tribute though, it is a personal insight that puts 50 years of history and insight into perspective and gives us some clues into what our future holds if we do not get our crap together and really talk about our county's cultural identity. 

I know I shouldn't but I couldn't resist the old photos!
Now if I can just get my hands on those photos....

No comments:

Post a Comment