Sunday, 26 January 2014

All I want is a magazine to read where everyone in it is not white

It is January 2014 and I am bored of magazines already. I mean really, really, when will our diverse society be represented in women's magazine? I am so bored of it all that I have no words to explain how sad these front covers make me feel.


I like reading magazines, when it is freezing cold outside nothing is cosier than a good mag, a cuppa and a duvet.  Regrettably it seems I should not be afforded that luxury as there are only a few mainstream magazines that can be bothered to reflect the diversity Great Britain on their glossy pages, which means I cannot buy the magazines. Why would I support a publishing house that doesn't value me? If Stylist magazine started charging I would buy it - since their all white pages were brought to their attention they went back to their contact books and asked advertisers and photographers to add some colour to the magazine. I have no idea why other magazines can't manage to do the same thing, its really not that complicated.


I know there are a range of magazines targeted at black women in the UK, but I don't like them, and I don't want the magazines I read to be segregated, I assume I don't need to explain why.  All I want is a sodding magazine to read where everyone in it is not white. How in 2014 is this still too much to expect? 

My current stress has reminded me how upset I was when I was planning our wedding. Bridal magazines are the worst, I brought mine in New York. Apparently black people don't get married in the UK.

You would think the entire magazine industry would be engaging everyone with any money to actually buy a magazine or two. It appears not so I am off to bang my head against a wall and buy some American magazine subscriptions. 

4 comments:

  1. It bugs me how excited I still get when I see a Black or Asian face on a magazine in the UK. In USA magazine and marketing images are so much more varied. It really shouldn't be too much to ask for some kind of reflection of society. Based on London stats - nearly half of those magazines should feature a "person of colour"...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lynda, I am the same, I always think ohh who is this? I shouldn't even notice because it should be the norm to have wide range of women, and sometimes men, on the covers of our magazines. I think animals make the cover of magazines more than women of colour.

      Delete
  2. I hear you all the way... its appalling here in Australia despite the press continually talking about our "melting pot" of cultures. Even though the tourism companies push the blonde Aussie stereotype overseas there are a huge number of non caucasian people who are totally forgotten in our print media... Thank you for raising this :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tina, I hadn't even thought about Australia, I can only imagine how the magazine industry is not reflective of the 'melting pot'. Kind of a bitter sweet feeling knowing that its the same in other places, but wow, how can we still have this lack of diversity in 2014?

      Delete