Saturday, 11 January 2014

My hair and other split end stories

mixed race hair; split ends; seek and destroy; silk pillow cases; hair protein; black hair; hair journey; natural hair;
The daughter doesn't believe I will ever do anything about my hair! She nearly fainted when I told her I had booked a hair cut. 

I have spent hours reading hair blogs to see what I need to be doing to get my hair into healthy condition and I have established wearing my hair up when sleeping was probably responsible for my split ends having split ends - gross I know.


I have employed the 'seek and destroy' method of removing the offensive damaged hair and have spent hours and hours snipping away. I have also brought silk pillow cases and am not sleeping with my hair up. This is the most attention my hair has had for years!


Yuk - who even named split ends?




I thought a black hair magazine would be really useful in finding out what products were good and which were bad. How wrong was I - what I got was traumatised - more on that in another post. However great blogs like Fresh Lengths and Afrobella have lead me to understand my hair needs both moisture and protein. I I think my whole body needs moisture and protein actually but I won't be eating the hair mayonnaise I brought.

I am taking no responsibility for my troubled tresses - how exactly was I supposed to know what I should have been doing to take care of my hair when no one told me? Exactly I don't know either! So now complete strangers are my hair buddies and I am taking all the advice I can get. 

I have to admit all the products are totally confusing - I need an independent hair product adviser! I know mineral oil is bad. But while I continue on my hair journey protein, protein and more protein, and a lot more snipping.

2 comments:

  1. Who knew split ends were so detailed and varied?! There is soooooo much advice out there but hard to know which to go with as everybody's hair is different. Best bet is to find someone whose hair looks most like yours. Silk pillow cases are a great idea for everyone and be gentle - despite looking "tough" curly hair is really fragile. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the advice Lynda, I shall be gentle with it too.

    ReplyDelete