Saturday, 12 April 2014

Having a bath and exploring the Essex coast

Heybridge Basin: Essex Coast; Maldon; West Mersea; This Works; Five Lakes; Photoshop Express; The Company Shed; West Mersea Oyster Bar;
It's true, I had a bath. When you only have a shower the nicest thing about checking into a hotel is being able to have a bath and although rather 'loud', the bath was good - those taps were to die for! The Five Lakes in Maldon wouldn't have been my usual choice of hotel but they had a pool and a spa and offered really good value considering its the Easter break. The hotel totally accommodated the kids wants., the customer service was great and the mini This Works Sleep Kits were lovely.

The Five Lakes Hotel
How OTT are these taps! But I love 'em

The cream tea for two at The Five Lakes was enough for four
You may remember one of the things I wanted to do this year was explore the Essex Coast. So I was really happy that we could go off to check out Heybride Basin this week. The lock was built as the sea terminus for the Chemler and Blackwater River and with the plentiful work the village grew. Now there are around 150 yachts permanently moored at the basin, there are two pubs and a tea room run by Tiptree, the jam making people. We stopped there for a few more scones and they were so delicious!

A fishing boat at Heybridge Basin
We also went off to check out West Mersea. I really wanted to try some seafood at The Company Shed but we got there to late. We were also late for the West Mersea Oyster Bar but the staff saw our little sad faces and opened up the kitchen for us which was so nice. We were spotted by other later-comers and they got feed too. It was a shame I had to drive home, my lobster and chips would have been even better with a glass of champagne. Ohh and the scallops were de-lic-ious!!

Lobster and chips of course
The beach at West Mersea is beautiful. There is nothing there but sand, some boats and some marsh. I can see myself heading here with a flask, a good book and a fold up seat when I need an escape from reality.

I took loads of photos and I am going to make the effort to print them off and stick them in an album. All of these pictures were taken with my phone and they didn't even go through my favorite app PhotoShop Express.

So West Mersea lived up to my expectations, now decide where next......

Skimming stones never gets old

No comments:

Post a Comment