Thursday, 1 May 2014

The best salvage yard in London and driving since 1988!

salvage; salvage yards; best salvage yards in London; house refurbishment; vintage; mini cooper
You know I love everything vintage and if I could complete our house refurbishment using only salvage and found items I would be a very happy lady. Sadly that is a) not feasible b) within budget or c) gonna fly with the husband. But, and it's a big but - you can only imagine how happy I was to visit the very best salvage yard in south east London a couple of weeks ago when I managed to spend a lovely sunny day with my BBF. Sadly I have clearly been living under a rock (called Hackney) for the past year as I had no idea this salvage yard had won the Time Out Best Shop Award in 2013!

I passed my driving test in May 1988 so I have been driving past this salvage yard for the past 26 years. Not until April 2014 did I finally cross the scared doorway of the salvage heaven that is Aladdin's Cave. You want chairs - they have chairs plus all the sinks, fireplaces, doors, industrial food mixers and light fittings you could ever want by the truck load. Not so strangely for crazy place like this, among the row and rows and rows of picture frames and curious objects, they have a cosy living room complete with roaring open fire! 

I generally assume the prices in all London salvage yards will be astronomical but these lights are only £70.00 each - all wired up and ready to go so no extra costs for electrical work, and they are massive. To me that's pretty darn good value.




Sooo many lovely salvage treats but hold on a darn minute! I have been driving past that salvage yard for 26 years!! That in itself is true vintage and a flipping long time, I am not sure I feel old enough to have been driving for nearly 30 years. I think I need a little lie down to hatch a plan - a new car for my 30 driving anniversary, maybe a new mini?

A little vintage throwback... here's me in 1988.
Totally grainy but here is me, yeah I was still roller skating when I was 18, my mini, my ex and his dog.
Aladdin's Cave is at 72 Loampit Hill, Lewisham, London, SE13 7SX, they are open 9 - 6 every day. My advice set a budget before you go or you will totally overspend.

No comments:

Post a Comment