Thursday, 26 June 2014

Making over the smallest room in the house

Finally, after a very little emotional blackmail - yep I had to go there - the Husband has ripped out the nasty loo and sink in our cloak-room, the smallest room in our house. I couldn't take looking at it anymore. No one used this loo as it was sooo gross and it has been weeks and weeks since I asked the Husband to get started on making the room over. So after a little silent treatment, it did sadden me to go to those extremes but on Friday I came home to find the offensive items in the front garden, so job done.

Ready..... this 'before' picture comes with a warning! As you can see someone clearly smoked on the loo! Gross, gross, gross. Underneath that nasty torn vinyl floor was some quite nice vintage lino, but that currently is in the front garden also waiting to go to the dump. Yipee!!



You may remember a few months ago I was collecting white tiles from Freecycle, I figured everyone with a garage has standard square white tiles hiding somewhere in their garage so why buy them? One man's trash, is a creative woman's treasure etc and when off-set like subway tiles and finished with grey grout I think bog standard white tiles can look pretty cool. We have enough tiles for the walls in our cloak room now and we even managed to score grey floor tiles and some tile adhesive too.




Of course I have been collecting everything we need to complete this little vintage inspired cloak-room renovation. We have had the sink for ages but it's a wall hanging one and we have established the wall it needs to go on is not strong enough to hold it. Like I needed one, this problem offered a great excuse to visit the reclamation yard.  A super quick visit to south London's Aladdin's Cave managed to throw up the base of a metal table which almost perfectly fits the dimensions of the sink. The table is a little too tall but nothing a hack-saw can't fix.


I am loving the idea of using a vintage door knocker as a towel rail and Pinterest is of course giving me more and more helpful suggestions. I hadn't thought of placing vignette on a toilet cistern before but even the smallest room needn't be boring.

























I am hoping the Husband has time to get the tiles done and the fittings installed in the next week, in time for my birthday. Yep, where did the last year go. I'm thinking a new camera would be the best birthday present but a gift wrapped short projection toilet is far more likely.

No comments:

Post a Comment