Friday, 31 October 2014

30 Days of DIY - a personal SMART challenge

Refurbishing a house yourself around kids, doing your day job and running a business is not something I would recommend. We managed to refurnish out last house from top to bottom in six months (I was on maternity leave and the house was only 10 years old) but this house, with it's wonky floors and high maintenance roof, is taking forever and I am fed up with it.



The main issues, well there are several. 

The mess! I cannot stand it much longer, then there are the days we seem to spend hours working on something and there is no visible difference at the end of the day so the house looks exactly the same. And the little finishing off jobs that now seem like one big job - urgh - they truly make me want to leave home. 

The solution, well part of the solution is a little DIY challenge.  What can I get done in 30 days? We will see and I am making no promises but I have a long list of jobs to complete in my self set #30DIYdays challenge.

So what needs doing. Lets see, there are more doors to be undercoated and painted. White on the room side and black on the hallway side - getting the line straight is so much fun. I have more lights to hang, mirrors to put up, door frames to sand and paint, there is a chest of drawers needing a makeover, wallpaper to hang, the beading on the bathroom floor needs finishing off, and the radiator needs painting, the bathroom fan needs replacing, the hallway cupboard needs re-configuring so our vacuum can actually fit in it. Then there is the blind I need to make and the Boy's built in cupboard needs finishing off properly. So basically I have loads to do and I want as much of it done in the next 30 days. There is no way I will finish everything but focus is good right and even if I only have time to work on a project for 30 minutes it will all makes a difference.

Turning flush doors into smart panelled ones is defiantly worth the effort
There is of course a serious side to setting a SMART challenge. Seeing your goals written down has a powerful effect on the brain and setting goals helps to organise your time and your mind. Plus a goal broken down into smaller chunks makes achieving the goal less challenging, physically and mentally. 

Do you set SMART (specific, measurable, achievable, realistic and time-bound) goals? I am amazed by how many people I know who don't and then wonder why their efforts didn't achieve the outcome they wanted.
  • Make your goal as specific as possible.
  • Use completion dates, benchmarks or measurable milestones to evaluate your progress.
  • Make sure your goal is attainable; create a target date that is achievable but won't allow you to become complacent.
  • Set a goal that is relevant and meaningful to you and be prepared to make the necessary sacrifices to achieve it.
  • Explore opportunities to create a team of people who support your efforts.
  • Your goal may reflect other's input, but it should be closely aligned with who you are and what you want to contribute to the world.
So at the end of my 30 day DIY challenge I will be able to look back and take in the progress made and being able to see at least four totally finished rooms will make me so very very happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment