Wednesday, 8 October 2014

The other dreaded c-word....Childcare

The husband has got a day job! Now I know most husbands have jobs but it really has been a while since this husband had a day job, which means when the little gets out of school Dad will be at work. So yep, we need help with the dreaded c-word - childcare.  

Until now we haven't needed childcare. The Boy used to go to nursery school, we were really lucky it was for fun so he could play with other kids. The Boy's old school, Walthamstow Montessori,was lovely and small so we knew all the parents and everyone took everyone's kids home all the time. But now new local school and new playground rules. I can't complain, we've had a good run, we just need to find a cake loving local childcare professional, who doesn't mind dodging paint pots, to take care of our little Jedi while we are both at our day jobs.




We have posted an ad on Childcare.co.uk and let everyone in our network know that we need some part time help.  I hope we find someone who gets us as a family without too much bother but oh how I have been reminded of how stressful getting childcare can be.  
When the daughter (nearly 21 now) was a little I was a single mum, I used to do that walk-run move to get her nursery the moment it opened so I could get to work on time and then do the same little walk-run shuffle going home to pick her up on time. I am sure that stress took years off my life!  When my daughter started school I used a combination of after-school clubs and childminders for childcare. Neither was ideal but mostly I remember the constant running and dread of being late. I hear after-school clubs now charge £1.00 a minute now for late pick ups. I guess it's the only way to discourage lateness and the staff have to be paid, but wow that's like a premium rate phone line.  
Parents juggling full time childcare really do deserve a medal, it isn't easy, ever.
How hard was it for you to find the right childcare for your littles? Have you used Childcare.co.uk?  I'm really interested to know if you employed a man? I would love to hear your story.
Should you know anyone in gentrified Clapton, London E5 looking for a part time childcare job we are looking for someone who is obviously caring, reliable, honest and patient with oodles of common sense, all attributes which will be reflected in their references. Of course they will also like cake and baking them!
Clapton in Elle Decoration, yep we are officially fancy now.


No comments:

Post a Comment